The First Hospital in India Achieves Global Recognition for Its Healthcare IT Systems
Max Healthcare is ranked in top 5% worldwide for safety, quality of care and efficiency in new global rating by HIMSS Analytics Asia
NEW DELHI, INDIA (April 25, 2012) - HIMSS Analytics Asia announced Max Healthcare in India, has achieved Stage 6 on the Electronic Medical Record Adoption Model (EMRAM).
Max Healthcare has been recognized for meeting all criteria for a Stage 6 hospital in the deployment and use of clinical information technology to improve patient safety, quality and efficiency. The two facilities, which have reached this important milestone, include the Max Super Speciality Hospital East Wing Saket and Max Super Speciality Hospital West Wing Saket.
HIMSS Analytics developed the EMR Adoption Model in 2005 as a methodology for evaluating the progress and impact of electronic medical record systems for hospitals in the HIMSS Analytics® Database. Tracking their progress in completing eight stages (0-7), hospitals can review the implementation and utilization of information technology applications with the intent of reaching Stage 7, which represents an advanced electronic patient record environment.
Putting the achievement into perspective, as of Q4 2011, just 5.2% of more than 5,300 hospitals in the United States tracked by HIMSS Analytics had reached Stage 6 on its EMRAM.
"Congratulations to Max Healthcare for being the first hospital in India to receive Stage 6 and leading the way on EMR adoption," said Steven Yeo, General Manager, HIMSS Analytics Asia. "Stage 6 represents an advanced level of sophistication and puts Max Healthcare literally in a league of its own in India and amongst the top 5% globally."
Max Healthcare has deployed several very strategic clinical applications which have been shown to improve quality and safety, such as:
- Computerized Practitioner Order Entry (CPOE) where physicians enter patient orders directly into the clinical information system which interacts with an intelligent clinical decision support system
- Physician Documentation supported by clinical decision support
- Closed Loop Medication Administration with the use of bar codes to verify the right medication for the right patient at the right time in the right strength and form
- Nursing Documentation online with some direct medical device connectivity
There is increasing evidence that points to significant safety and quality improvements with clinical information systems.
"We believe Max Healthcare's commitment to medical and service excellence and patient care is further strengthened by the Electronic Medical Records (EMR) system at our hospitals. Our integrated information systems empower the care providers in delivering world class healthcare in a safe and effective manner. Being the first hospital in India to have reached an advanced level of electronic patient record environment, we take pride in our achievement of HIMSS Stage 6 Certification and at the same time resolve to continuously work towards our endeavor to improve patient care," said Dr. Ajay Bakshi, CEO & MD, Max Healthcare.
"The EMR implementation has been a transformational project in which we redesigned some of the complex hospital processes to focus on care delivery and patient safety. The organizational change was directed, driven and monitored by the top management at Max and involving teams of doctors, nurses and administrative staff. The Stage 6 certification is recognition of Max Healthcare's commitment and capability to provide world class healthcare to our patients," said Dr. Neena Pahuja, CIO, Max Healthcare.
The Max Healthcare will be honored with their Stage 6 Award at the HIMSS Asia Pac12 Conference which takes place at the Marina Bay Sands in Singapore from 17-19 September 2012.
Photo caption: Dr. Ajay Bakshi, CEO & MD, Max Healthcare
Notes to the editor:
Criteria for Stage 6 hospitals
- Have made significant executive commitments and investments to reach this stage.
- Appear to have a significant advantage over competitors for patient safety, clinician support, clinician recruitment, and competitive marketing for both consumers and nurse recruitment.
- Have almost fully automated/paperless medical records when they have implemented their IT applications across most of the inpatient care settings.
- Is either starting to evaluate their data for care delivery process improvements or have already documented significant improvements in this area.
- Have made investments that are within reach of most hospitals and recognize the strategic value of improving patient care with the EMR.
- Have begun to create strategic alignments with their medical staff to effectively utilize information technology to improve the patient safety environment.
- Are well positioned to provide data to key stakeholders, such as payers, the government, physicians, consumers and employers, to support electronic health record environments and health information exchanges.
About Max Healthcare
Max Healthcare is the country's leading comprehensive provider of standardized, seamless and international-class healthcare services. It is committed to the highest standards of medical and service excellence, patient care, scientific and medical education. Max Healthcare operates nine facilities in Delhi & NCR, offering services in over 30 medical disciplines.
The tertiary care hospitals at Saket include Max Super Speciality Hospital (East Block), which is a centre of excellence for Cardiac Care, Minimal Access, Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery and Cancer Care and Max Super Speciality Hospital (West Block), a super speciality facility in Orthopaedics & Joint Replacement, Neurosciences, Paediatrics, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Aesthetic & Reconstructive Plastic Surgery and Internal Medicine.
Please visit www.maxhealthcare.in for more information.
About HIMSS Analytics Asia
HIMSS Analytics Asia is a subsidiary of Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) which is a wholly owned not-for-profit healthcare IT organization. HIMSS Analytics Asia collects and analyzes healthcare information related to IT processes and environments, products, IS department composition and costs, IS department management metrics, healthcare trends and purchase-related decisions. HIMSS Analytics Asia delivers high quality products, services and analytical expertise to healthcare delivery organizations, healthcare IT companies, state governments, financial companies, pharmaceutical companies and consulting firms. For more information, please visit www.himssanalyticsasia.org.